JAMES ARTHUR JOHNSON
BBA, MA, A+, ACHDS, HDA, HDM, MOS, W3S/HTML
An experienced Senior Web Developer with a diverse background (Web Development, Help Desk, Desktop Support, Networking, Mainframe Operations, Psychology/Counseling, Teaching, Genealogy) whose more recent
projects have involved extending my development of mobile-first responsive templates for university websites for a variety of purposes, implementing UI, writing the back-end of apps and learning/applying Python in some of these endeavors.
Further, I am one who is open to positions that involve spending more time with people and less time in front of the screen.
WORK EXPERIENCE AND ACHIEVEMENTS:
University - Information Technology Department, Harrisonburg, VA. Positions: Web Developer. July 2008-present (promoted to Senior Web Developer in November 2013). Help Desk Analyst. December 2004-July 2008.
- Developed tools based in web services running against Cascade REST API.
- Converted a Total Compensation Benefits Calculator written in Visual Basic to a standalone jQuery application easily maintained by the Human Resources Department using Cascade CMS. http://www.jmu.edu/humanresources/totalcomp/index.shtml
- Developed and launched JMU’s responsive site http://www.jmu.edu
- Pioneered and Developed Responsive Design prototypes
- Developed and launched JMU’s mobile web site http://m.jmu.edu, using jQuery, HTML5, CSS3, YUI Grids and
- Redeveloped the Campus Directory using
Perl and jQuery DataTables (http://www.jmu.edu/directory) and later did another redevelopment partnering with HannonHill using PHP (https://directory.jmu.edu)
- Significant contributions to additional
high profile projects such as Accounts Portal (MASON framework), Transfer
Advising (Perl/CGI), Online Curricular System (Perl/CGI), HR Autocomplete
Search (jQuery) and Cascade Server (including apps within using VelocityScript
and XSLT with XML and jQuery)
- Authored various articles, web pages, web sites and e-books
- Presented at the Cascade Server User Conference in Atlanta, GA
- Described as “One of our best hires” by
the Executive Director of Information Systems of James Madison University
- Featured in the Crossroads article EMU grads help market James Madison University
- Described by a customer as one who "love(s) to get things done" and his "SLA is one of the best in the business."
Community College - Workforce & Continuing Education (WCE),
Weyers Cave and Harrisonburg, VA. Position: Adjunct Faculty (WCE Computer
- Rewrote the HTML course I teach to
reflect XHTML standards and am gradually integrating HTML5
- Described as a "brilliant, kind, caring instructor" and "an incredible resource and computer guru."
Physical Therapy & Sports Performance - Technical
Support, Harrisonburg, VA. Position: Server Administrator. January
2005-August 2007. Position: Webmaster. August 2006-January 2011.
- Developed a quality website in 2009 in
WLR Foods, Inc. – MIS Department, Hinton and Broadway, VA. Positions: PC Specialist, Help Desk Operator. June 1995-May 1999.
- Pioneered a company Intranet
- Helped move to paperless and centralized documentation
- Single-handedly ran the Help Desk for over 700 customers in 4 states
Merck & Co., Inc. – Technical
Operations, Manufacturing Division, Stonewall Plant, Elkton, VA. Position:
Intern/Bulk Mainframe Operator. November 1993-May 1995.
University – Office of Information Technology, Harrisonburg,
VA. Position: Microcomputing Lab Consultant. Spring 1992-November 1993.
Computing Knowledge and Accomplishments:
- Author of Velocity: Beyond the Basics: Beyond a $ here and a # to do (additions, subtractions and things left unsaid)
(Kindle Edition | on Google Play)
- Presented Velocity: the Basics: with a $ here and a # to do at the Cascade Server Users Conference (September 21, 2015)
- Featured in Hannon Hill Corp. Team Blog: CUC15 Session Spotlight: Velocity (September 21, 2015)
- Author of Velocity: The Basics: Scripting with a $ here and # to do (Kindle Edition | on Google Play)
- Familiarity with Java, JavaFX, PHP, ASP, VBScript, HTML5, Remedy, Linux and mainframe operations
- Featured in the YUI blog at http://www.yuiblog.com/blog/2012/09/21/yui-weekly-for-sept-21st-2012 for a demo I wrote for the Cascade Server User Conference (September 2012) using YUI Grids and jQuery)
Python 3 Tutorial course from Sololearn
(Certificate, January 31, 2020),
HTML Developer Certification (October 2006), Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) Certification (PowerPoint 2003) (August 2006), HDI HDM (Help Desk Manager) Certification (July 2006), HDI HDA (Help Desk Analyst) Certification (July 2005), Apple - ACHDS Certification (April 2005), CompTIA A+ Certification (2004)
- Author of multiple articles for James Madison University’s Technical Advisory. Refer to http://educ.jmu.edu/~johns2ja/works.htm
- Developed documentation for assistance with technical operations in a manufacturing setting as well as operations in a university support center
- Past experience with Unix, mainframe operations (ITX, VAX, AS400) and programming: BASIC, PASCAL, COBOL, and SQL
- Additional training (SDI, MBTI personality assessments, Listening Skills, Team Building, Inter-generational Differences in the Workplace, Emotional Triggers)
Examples of my work available: http://educ.jmu.edu/~johns2ja/works.htm
Counseling Work Experience and Accomplishments can be provided upon request.
Hagerstown Community College, Hagerstown, MD. January-April 2004.
Eastern Mennonite University, Harrisonburg, VA. August 1996-June 1999.
- Master of Arts in Counseling (GPA: 3.982)
James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA. August 1991-May 1995.
- Bachelor of Business Administration
- Major: Computer Information Systems, Decision Support Systems Concentration (Major GPA: 3.85, Cumulative GPA: 3.589)
- Placed on both the Dean’s List and President’s List
- Graduated Magna Cum Laude
ACTIVITIES, SUBSCRIPTIONS, MEMBERSHIPS AND HONORS: