Pre-class information about Laura's Games/Puzzles Math 103 classes
Is this the class for me?
Every faculty member in the math department teaches Math 103 differently, covering different
topics and using different materials. The Math 103 class that you are currently enrolled
for will be focused on discovering theorems concerning games and puzzles. You may or may not be interested in this
topic. That is one reason why I have directed you to this web page - if you do not think this is the
class for you, then you should consider switching now to one of the
many other sections of Math 103 that are being offered this fall. Other sections
of Math 103 will cover different material, and may be more suitable for you.
overrides can be obtained from Brenda
You will probably like this class if:
- you like exploring interesting mathematical problems
- you like hands-on discovery learning
- you want to see what it is like to be a mathematician
- you are willing to attend class very regularly
- you are willing to work in groups on various projects
- you like games and puzzles
You will probably NOT like this class if:
- you want an easy class that you can just breeze through
- you want to cover material you are already familiar with
- you would prefer a typical lecture-style class
- you are not planning to attend class regularly
- you will have trouble being a dependable group contributor
- you hate games and/or puzzles
Believe it or not, there is a lot of mathematics that can be investigated through games and puzzles.
For example, consider these
historical examples of the mathematics of games, and this very famous mathematician who has studied games and puzzles extensively.
On the first day of class we will be actively using the card game
available from the JMU bookstore and a required material for this class. Please purchase this card game before the first day of class. And feel free to play it before you come to class, if you like! (There will be one other item to buy for this class, in
I look forward to meeting you on Monday, if you decide that this class is
P.S. I will be handing out the class policy sheet during class, but you can see it
and other information right now if you like, at the class website.