Service and Outreach
Expanding Your Horizons Conference, Co-director and Workshop Leader (2010-2011), Director (2011-present)
An annual one-day STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) conference for young women in grades 6-10 that is hosted by the James Madison University Department of Mathematics and Statistics. It includes hands-on workshops, demonstrations, and a keynote address.
In 2010-2011, I served as co-director of the conference and led a workshop on the Arithmetic of Codes. Since 2011, I have served as a director of the conference.
A weeklong day camp for girls who had completed grades 5-7 that was hosted by the Institute for Mathematics and its Applications (IMA) at the University of Minnesota. The girls participated in problem sessions and
competitions, played mathematical games, and created a poster on an advanced mathematical topic. In my role as co-organizer, I set the schedule for the week, combined existing materials with new ideas to develop the curriculum,
trained the undergraduate and graduate students who worked as mentors, and led sessions on divisibility.
Sonja Kovalevsky Mathematics Day at Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Instructor (2009)
Sonja Kovalevsky Mathematics Day at UVA, Instructor (2007, 2008, and 2009)
UVA Mathematical Contest in Modeling, Instructor and Judge (2007),
Mathematics and Science Day for the UVA Young Women Leaders Program, Instructor (2008)
UVA Campus Girl Scouts Science Badge Workshop, Instructor (2006)
External and Internal Support for Outreach:
- Expanding Your Horizons (EYH) at JMU, Co-PI with Dr. Elizabeth Arnold, James Madison University Center for STEM Education and Outreach Grant, December 2016, $3,327.
- Expanding Your Horizons at James Madison University, Co-PI with Dr. Elizabeth Arnold, James Madison University Office of Access and Inclusion Innovative Diversity Efforts Award (IDEA Grant), June 2014, $2,000.
- Expanding Your Horizons (EYH) Day with Follow-up for Girls Grades 7-10, Co-PI with Dr. Elizabeth Arnold, Mathematical Association of America (MAA) Tensor Women and Mathematics Program, March 2013, $5,900.
Conference Talks on Outreach:
- Expanding Your Horizons at James Madison University: Math and Science Outreach to Middle and High School Girls, MathFest, Washington, DC, August 2015.
- Expanding Your Horizons at JMU: Math and Science Outreach to Middle and High School Girls, MAA MD-DC-VA Section Meeting, Roanoke College, Salem, VA, April 2015.
Selected Professional Service :
- Referee for Bulletin of the London Mathematical Society, Complex Variables and Elliptic Equations, Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications, Operators and Matrices, and Rocky Mountain Journal of Mathematics
- Co-organizer of the [Blue] Dot Challenge Project NExT Fundraising Campaign (2016-2017)
- Faculty Advisor for the JMU Student Chapter of the Association for Women in Mathematics (2014-2016, Assistant Advisor 2012-2013)
- Judge for Undergraduate Competitions at various mathematics meetings (2011-present)
- Member of the JMU Department of Mathematics & Statistics Student Activities Committee (2015-2016)
- Member of the JMU Department of Mathematics & Statistics Calculus Committee (2012-2014)
- Member of the JMU Pure Mathematics Committee (2010-present)
- Secretary for JMU Department of Mathematics and Statistics Faculty Meetings (2011-2013)
- Volunteer for the Shenandoah Undergraduate Mathematics and Statistics Conference (2010-present)
- Facilitator for the It's Complicated: Ethical Reasoning in Action Session during JMU August Orientation (2014, 2015)
- Facilitator for the Preface Program during JMU August Orientation (2011, 2012)
- Contributor to the Roanoke Valley Reef (2012-2013)
- Co-organizer of the panel Math students: you know you want them but how do you get them and keep them around? at the Project NExT workshop (2011)
- Co-organizer of the UVA Mathematics Department Graduate Seminar (2007-2009)
- Co-organizer of the UVA Mathematical Contest in Modeling (2008)
- Judge and Instructor for the UVA Mathematical Contest in Modeling (2007)
- Judge for the Virginia Piedmont Regional Science Fair (2007)